Sunday, September 27, 2009

My life in the present tense



Today I’m reflecting on my life and how it has changed so dramatically a result of my accident, and to a certain extent even more profoundly, as a result of the successful conclusion of the resulting legal action.

Even the resulting physical challenges have proven to be less debilitating than the emotional toll taken as a result of not being able to work; to be able to - sustainably - contribute to the world.

Granted only my lifestyle - where I live at any given time - has prevented me from continuing as a Rotary member. This has been my choice. So it is now up to me to find a suitable activity or activities to fill the surprisingly large void.

I also find that I am now also hyper sensitive to the predicament that my sister finds herself in. I know deep down that she has the character and skills required to survive what ever life throws at her. We had the same upbringing after all. I do hope however that she finds it in herself to be more flexible and future looking as she peruses the next chapter in her working life.

For me, this blog will be one of the outlets that will let me share my thoughts with who ever out there in cyberspace trips over this thing.

I have decided that photography and woodworking will be two other outlets. But I am floundering in my pursuit of an intellectual activity. Charity work was the first thing that came to mind, but as with Rotary, you tend to have to be available in one place to be effective. I live in a minimum of two locations. And really, I want to be living in a third - in the south - for a few months in the winter.

So, what to do? My thinking at the moment is to do something online. Perhaps try to start an online support group for people in my situation (sufferers of neuropathic pain). Not certain how to do this.

Maybe try to launch a mechanism for the raising of funds to support research into how to control nerve pain. This is something that medicine has a hard time doing. Even the very expensive drug ‘Gabapentin’ only moderates the level of discomfort I have. This I think would be a worthwhile pursuit. How to begin? This is my dilemma.

I’ve uploaded a couple of my most recent photographs, just because of the title of this blog.

I’m going to try to post more regularly from this point on. Maybe once or twice per week. Perhaps the discipline of writing will help me figure out my life faster than not.

Rain today at the lake, so we’ll leave at noon or so.

No comments:

Product Cloud

Deals that might be of interest...you never know!