Sunday, February 7, 2010

A man and his dog

A couple of days ago - and a beautiful day it was - I took Winston on a short journey. We ventured across the Ottawa river to the small town of Wakefield, Quebec, perhaps 40 minutes from where we live here in Ottawa.
This modified from Wikipedia:
Wakefield is a village on the western shore of the Gatineau River, at the confluence of the La Pêche River in the Outaouais region of Quebec. The village, named after the town ofWakefield in West YorkshireEngland, is now the southern edge of the municipality of La Pêche, and was founded in 1830 by Irish, Scottish, and English immigrants. It is approximately twenty minutes from OttawaOntario driving north on Autoroute 5 and Route 105 at Route 366
The village's primary industry is tourism. The main attractions, in addition to a picturesque setting, are the covered bridge spanning the Gatineau River, the recently restored Maclaren Mill, named after an early family in the region, now operated as the Wakefield Inn and Spa. 

This picture of the Mill was taken from the bridge crossing La Pêche river

Former Canadian prime minister Lester B. Pearson is buried in MacLaren Cemetery in Wakefield.
I took the following picture at the village cemetery located on the side of the mountain up the road from the Inn.
This memorial stands in honour of Lester B. Pearson

Winston and I had great fun. He ran all over the place and generally was easy to spot:

except when we ventured up the trail towards the summit of the small mountain which overlooks the village. Can you spot Winston?:


We spent perhaps an hour on our mini-trek, then called it an afternoon. Walking down from the cemetery gave me a glimpse of why its not totally shitty that I'm spending winter in this god forsaken country of mine!
Pretty nice, eh!

So that's about it for this one... nothing too deep or insightful this posting. Perhaps I'm still smarting from the end of the Sens 10 game winning streak?!

Tonight is the Superbowl, and I'll likely be watching alone, as there's no one in my household that gives a sh*t but me.

Tomorrow its off to the gym to begin the long, painful process of losing 20 lbs before the nuptials in July. I think there is a good chance I'll do it, but I can't say I'm going to enjoy it much. Wish me luck won't you?



No comments:

Product Cloud

Deals that might be of interest...you never know!