Saturday, July 24, 2010

Why 'Luxury"?

I've been asked on several occasions: why 'Luxury' travel agent?

Here's why ...


Over the past 30 years or so I've traveled virtually all around the world. When I was younger - just starting my business career - I did not have the resources to travel First Class; Business Class for that matter. Back then, unless I was on company business it was Coach all the way for me. We've all been there. It is not a very pleasant way to travel. But ... that was then!



This is now ... I've worked hard and smart and I've done well. I've learned the difference between price and value. I also know that with few exceptions, you get what you pay for in this world. I have learned that - to the extent possible - I want to know that someone won't have his or her hand in my pocket every time I turn around while I am on vacation. Most importantly, I have learned that it is OK to enjoy the fruits of my success. Why shouldn't I be as comfortable as possible? Enjoy the finest cuisine? Drink vintage wines? Enjoy the spa?

And so it is in the cruise business!

You certainly can opt for that 7 day, $399 Caribbean cruise, where everything except the food is an extra. Extra for drinks. For wine with meals. Excursions. Gratuities. Airfare. Less than 180 square foot cabins. And on and on it goes. By the time you disembark you will feel like you have been picked clean. (If you still feel that the least expensive fare is the only one for you, stop reading here, contact me, and I would be happy to refer you to another agent. I'll do this not because I do not want your business, but because I only want happy, satisfied clients. I want to work with my clients over the long term, and painful experience has taught me that selling these lower end products is a recipe for only one thing: dissatisfaction. So respectfully, I'll take a pass.)

I'm glad to see that you are still with me!

The cruises and associated travel products I prefer to offer my clients are decidedly more refined. More likely to please. More inclusive of charges, fees, extras of almost any type. Large or suite-only accommodations. Yes, the cost appears considerably greater than for the bargain basement variety of cruise products some others would sell you, and of course it will cost you more when all is said and done, but not that much more when virtually everything to do with your luxury vacation is taken care of in a first class way right from the start. And, as for quality? No contest!

No more gratuities, fees, bar charges, airfare. (At least one luxury cruise line is currently offering 2-for-1 air, with additional bonuses thrown in as well). Your vacation will be more relaxed. No loudspeaker announcements trying to get you to attend a second rate art auction or some such contrived event, both day and night.

Luxury travel is by definition a better experience all around. Satisfaction rates for those who choose the best are near 100%. The food is better. The service is less obtrusive, but is nonetheless better. The atmosphere is largely more intimate (many of this class of cruise sail on smaller ships carrying 400-800 passengers). More relaxed. Refined without being stuffy. And, unless you choose to do so, most high end ships do not even require you to pack a tuxedo or a formal gown. (N.B. For those who do wish to experience the grand days of ocean liner travel of days gone by, there is always the fleet of Cunard's luxury fleet of 'Queens' to satisfy.)

So. Add up all the extras you should expect to pay for a lesser class of ship; a lesser quality vacation, then - truthfully - add to your budget to accommodate the very different kind of experience you will expect to enjoy during your vacation, and I believe you will soon begin to see the false economy of going on the 'cheap'.

So that's it. The bottom line for me is this: ensure happy satisfied clients by tailoring travel products to client needs and wants. Exceed all expectations. Help people discover the world while enjoying all the best it has to offer. Time after time.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Product Cloud

Deals that might be of interest...you never know!